Saturday 20 July 2024

The return of Enoplognatha latimana

Enoplognatha epigynes
In 2019 I first recorded the spider Enoplognatha latimana in VC55, see: Enoplognatha latimana - a new species of spider for VC55. By 2021 this newly arrived species had spread widely across the two counties but since that time, the advance seems to have slowed down. Despite much tedious checking of Enoplognatha epigynes and palps it's been Enoplognatha ovata all the way. Yesterday I was sweep netting when I turned up several Enoplognatha specimens. Despite the statistics arguing otherwise, some sixth sense told me they were interesting. On checking, one turned out to be Enoplognatha ovata but the other was my first Enoplognatha latimana in a long time. Which was nice. 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments welcome, I will respond as soon as I can.