Thursday 25 July 2024

FIT Counts

FIT Count Logo

The UK Pollinator Monitoring Scheme (UK PoMS) launched FIT Counts (Flower-Insect Timed Counts) in the UK several years ago. At the time, I decided not to bother. This year, with the moth trap in my suburban garden not justifying the electricity to run it (other than to document the disastrous decline in flying insect numbers this year), FIT Counts seem much more attractive. For one thing, they are a very low carbon way of recording - in good weather, spend ten minutes watching flowers and insects in your garden or local park, then upload the results via a mobile phone app or the website. I'm usually disappointed by big citizen science projects, which tend towards engagement rather than useful data, but the FIT Count methodology is geared towards long term monitoring which is desperately needed. Please give it a go. It could become a habit. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments welcome, I will respond as soon as I can.