Monday 3 June 2024

Ozyptila simplex

Ozyptila simplex
It's been a couple of years since I've managed to add any new spiders to the VC55 list, so I was very pleased to find a specimen of Ozyptila simplex yesterday. This one looked interesting from the moment I clapped eyes on it so I was pleased when my initial feeling was confirmed. At first sight, the habitat, a dampish meadow with rank vegetation on the banks of the Welland, seems a bit odd for a species normally thought to be associated with sand-hills, coastal grasslands, and estuarine habitats, but it is known to live in inland grassland habitats including fens and reed-beds in Europe. Yet another example of a species on a North Westwards march. 

Ozyptila simplex palp





No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments welcome, I will respond as soon as I can.