Sunday 29 November 2020

Mocydiopsis attenuata - persistence pays off

Mocydiopsis attenuata

I've come across Mocydiopsis attenuata several times before. At least, I think I have, but all the previous specimens have been female.  Although there are only three UK species of Mocydiopsis they are not easy to identify, and the females really can't be safely identified to species level. And there's the problem. In amongst more than a dozen females in a recent sample I finally found a male. From then on it was easy due to the characteristic aedeagus: 

Mocydiopsis attenuata aedeagus

There is one previous VC55 record for Mocydiopsis attenuata in the ORCA database, but it's a bit tenuous  with a range of dates and only a four figure grid reference. Without being able to see the original material I have no idea how reliable it is (verification level "Presumed Correct"), but given my previous experience... So how rare is Mocydiopsis attenuata? Well the females are not uncommon - but that's the problem. The males are rare as hen's teeth.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments welcome, I will respond as soon as I can.