Thursday 5 November 2020

I've been looking for this spider for two years

Zygiella atrica

The WSC describes Zygiella atrica as "common on the coast, rare in the mountains". We don't have coast or mountains in VC55 but there are around 100 well-distributed records for this species in the County database, so I wouldn't call it rare. In spite of that, it has managed to become a bogey species for me over the last two years. So much so that I was starting to doubt that I could identify this species correctly, that I was missing specimens as Zygiella x-notata. Tylan Berry didn't help by showing that Z. atrica grades into Z. x-notata morphologically, increasing my paranoia. Yesterday, on a pre-lockdown field trip, I was pretending a Gorse bush was Matt Hancock and giving it a damn good thrashing. As soon as this beauty hit the tray I knew immediately my wait was over. They do exist!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments welcome, I will respond as soon as I can.