Wednesday 18 December 2019

Let There Be Light - Why it's harder to be an entomologist than a botanist!


Click for larger image

I recently treated myself to a new piece of kit. I've lost count of the number of hand lenses I have - unlike some people, I don't lose them on a regular basis (never buy a hand lens without a lanyard) - I just like hand lenses! Being a botantist is so easy, you can just hold a specimen up to the light and look at it with your hand lens (sorry)! Inevitably when I'm looking at tiny bugs I'm always working in my own shadow. My new gizmo is a 10X LED Triplet Loupe Hand Lens. It's a good quality (triplet) hand lens with a tiny LED ring light built in operated by a tiny switch (arrow). It's the same size and weight as a regular hand lens but two or three times the price. I haven't had the opportunity to use it much yet, but I know it's going to be good. I took a quick test shot of a Pine Ladybird (Exochomus quadripustulatus) just by holding my mobile phone to the lens. Inevitably a shiny subject such as this gives a reflection, but this was taken in a dark corner with no additional lighting, so I'm pleased with it. I don't like the fact that it has batteries to replace but given that the lights are LED that shouldn't be too often. Overall, a very good piece of kit which I would recommend.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments welcome, I will respond as soon as I can.