Tuesday 17 December 2019

eDNA is here, it's just not evenly distributed

I worked with DNA for decades (although not strictly speaking eDNA - Environmental DNA), but earlier this year a paper was published that changed my world view (Environmental DNA metabarcoding of wild flowers reveals diverse communities of terrestrial arthropods. (2019) Ecology and Evolution, 9(4), 1665-1679 https://doi.org/10.1002/ece3.4809). I am in no doubt that in a generation's time, eDNA will have changed the way biological recording works, but what I struggle to see is what this will mean for the amateur naturalist.

Consequently, I was interested to come across LifeScanner - "LifeScanner employs DNA barcoding technology to identify insects, food, fur, or any animal tissue. Find out what you're eating, what's in your garden, or in your home." As far as I can make out, the service is only available in the USA & Canada. It's not clear to me exactly what range of taxa the service covers. It doesn't do plants but I'm not clear what arthropods, if any, are covered. Leaving that aside, the price is US$40 for four tests. Would I use a service like this for difficult spiders or springtails which can only identified by their DNA? Possibly, but at 10 quid a pop, not very often.

In the UK the closest thing we currently have is the NatureMetrics Great Crested Newt eDNA service. I'm not aware of any other UK consumer-level eDNA services, but if there are any, please let me know. PCRing your newt soup will cost you £170+VAT, well worth while if you don't want your garden turned into a supermarket car park. NatureMetrics also run a citizen science eDNA project, although I can't figure out exactly what this entails. So it seems that UK arthropod consumer level eDNA on demand is still some way away, but probably not too far. After that, it's all about commoditization and price reduction. And what that will do to field and identification skills is an open question...


2 comments:

  1. Hi Alan,
    Ben Maddison has just mentioned your blog to me and I I just wanted to let you know that we run an eDNA testing service here at ADAS and have done since 2014.

    Best Regards,

    Helen Rees (Shauns PhD student from a while ago)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Helen, good to hear from you. I assume ADAS's eDNA testing service is not free. The issue for "gentleman scientists" such as myself is that we have a very limited budget!

      Delete

Comments welcome, I will respond as soon as I can.