Thursday 29 June 2023

The Amazing Colour Changing Bug

Amblytylus nasutus

We have very few records for Amblytylus nasutus in VC55 (Leicestershire & Rutland). The species seems to be expanding its range and records have been coming in steadily for the last couple of weeks. I took this specimen in Rutland this week and at first I was unsure of the ID because of the black marks on the pronotum (other species of Amblytylus are available!). The answer seems to be that this is a male, male Mirids often being more vividly marked than females. However: 

Amblytylus nasutus

On being left in a pot (in the dark) overnight, by next morning the black marks had virtually disappeared. Just to confirm nothing funny was going on, I checked the aedeagus: 

Amblytylus nasutus aedeagus

Yup, bona fide Amblytylus nasutus. Ladies and Gentlemen, I give you the amazing colour changing bug. 

 





No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments welcome, I will respond as soon as I can.