Saturday 29 February 2020

Much eVaccing in the Marsh

Given a few brief hours sunshine this week, I headed out for only the second time this month (shocking!). Where do you go when you've had over three times the average February rainfall? Well obviously the choice was between the local bog and the local marsh. I decided to play it safe and head for the marsh! In fact, it was surprisingly dry, which is worrying in it's own right considering the rest of the County is under water. This is one of only a few sites with reed beds but it won't be there much longer if it continues drying at this rate. This was the first opportunity to poke around a reed bed with the eVac and it produced some goodies. The first of these was the bug Chartoscirta cincta:



Not a rare species but there are few records for VC55 and it's the first time I've recorded it. The second specimen of note was a juvenile Episinus angulatus, also comparatively rare on the County.



I've always thought you can't beat a good marsh. Unless it's a bog.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments welcome, I will respond as soon as I can.