Sunday 3 November 2019

Diplocephalus latifrons - why the long face?



"Being honest, I'd finished the earwigs and I was bored so I doodled a few crazy spider designs. I think this one looks cool though and I might make it."
God.

Diplocephalus latifrons - why the long face? There's a good reason why some male linyphiids have these wacky cephalic extensions. During mating, the male approaches the female from the front. Most male spiders use the front legs to try to hold up the female or her chelicerae and stop her biting him. In these spiders, the chelicerae fit into the sulcus (groove) on the cephalic hump, wedging them open and preventing her from sinking her fangs into him. But are female spiders really that dumb? No. The sulcus is rich in glandular tissue and the secretions are actually a form of nuptial gift. Matings where females do not receive these nuptial secretions are less likely to result in successful reproduction. Nice design!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments welcome, I will respond as soon as I can.