Sunday 23 June 2019

Stroppy Agelena labyrinthica

I was pleased to find a new site for Agelena labyrinthica in VC55 yesterday with no previous records for this species. There were plenty of webs and spiders and they were bigger that those I found a couple of weeks ago (possibly down to the advancing season). Most striking however was the difference in behaviour. The spiders I observed previously were very timid, disappearing down the funnel at any sign of movement. This crew were not only bigger but much bolder. This chap had recently acquired a Common Froghopper (Philaenus spumarius) for lunch:



Rather than fleeing as I tried to photograph him, he came out of the funnel guarding his meal:



before dragging it off to safety:



Then returning to glare at me, making it very clear what would happen if I tried to steal his lunch:



No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments welcome, I will respond as soon as I can.