Friday 24 May 2019

Dicymbium nigrum

I have been running a pitfall trap in grass in Leicestershire and over the past week and this has collected several specimens of the following spider, all female. Overall I think the evidence confirms that these are Dicymbium nigrum but I would appreciate confirmation from experts. Click on the images for larger photos:


Small squares = 1mm



Roberts (Roberts, M. (1993) The Spiders of Great Britain and Ireland, Compact Edition (2 vols) Brill) says of the two UK species of Dicymbium:

Numbers of dorsal spines on tibia I, II, III, IV: 2211 - YES
Femur I shorter than prosoma - YES
Fovea clearly visible as darkened groove - YES
No dorsal spines on femur I - YES
Posterior eye row: straight - ?? - see below
Anterior median eyes: distinctly smaller than ALE - ??
Sternum rugose - YES
Position of TmI by range 0.50-0.59 - see below
Metatarsus IV dorsally: trichobothrium present - YES
No dorsal spines on metatarsus I - YES
Tibia IV one dorsal spine - YES

Femur I shorter than prosoma:



Posterior eye row: straight - looks straight when viewed from above (is that right?)
Anterior median eyes: distinctly smaller than ALE - I'm not sure about this??


Position of TmI by range: 0.50-0.59: I measure it as 0.64 - ??


Metatarsus IV dorsally: trichobothrium present:



The epigyne is key to separating female specimens of Dicymbium nigrum and Dicymbium tibiale - these specimens have the short epigynal fissure of D. nigrum rather than the longer fissure of D. tibiale:



UPDATE: This was kindly conformed by Matt Prince, BAS, with the proviso that it could be Dicymbium brevisetosum, which may or may not be a separate species and which can only be identified in males (none of which I have found yet).






No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments welcome, I will respond as soon as I can.