Sunday 10 March 2024

The Return of Megalegs

 

Megalepthyphantes sp. near collinus

On 26th January 2022 I was refurbishing a pond in my Leicester garden when I found a single female spider which, after investigation, turned out to be Megalepthyphantes sp. near collinus. Quite a mouthful that (because it still lacks a formal description and naming), so Megalegs for short. This record was a big range expansion for this new spider. And ... that was it. I have not found any more specimens, and neither has anyone else in VC55. Until, that is, Saturday 9th March 2024, when, opening my dustbin I found another female on the inside of the lid. To find one spider may be regarded as fortunate; to find two looks like there is a colony in my garden. The bin was crammed with hedge prunings from the previous day, which is where the spider must have come from. I look forward to future sightings. 

Megalepthyphantes sp. near collinus epigyne




No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments welcome, I will respond as soon as I can.